Monday, December 1, 2014

Classroom Structures


The articles from this week’s reading consistently stressed the importance of improving teachers and the methods of teaching that they use. While I agree that there are many changes that need to be made in our system of education, some of the significant changes that I believe need to be made seem to be absent from the various lists of “educational improvements”. There are many teachers who could benefit from reading the article, “Every Child a Reader: What One Teacher Can Do” by Gay Su Pinnell. This well-written and informative article presents eight required actions for teachers:

1. Learn about learning

2. Put your theory into action

3. Establish inquiry as an integral part of your reading

4. Use research-based practices and put extra energy into making them work

5. Put your theory to work in the classroom

6. Take every opportunity to create community

7. Enjoy reading and writing with your students

8. Imagine a future and work toward it

All eight of these steps play a key role in the literacy education of students, but there seems to be a piece missing. Many teachers seem to lack this piece, but there is not a step you can take to easily fix this. Today, it seems like many teachers lack the driving motivation to teach that is usually fueled by the relationships they have with their students. To me, the difference in a good and bad teacher is not the way that they teach a lesson but how they interact with their students. When teachers lack this “desire to know and understand their students” that I am referring to, students may learn the material but are they benefitting as much as they could from this education? My answer is no. Teachers serve as constant role models for the students they teach, whether or not they realize this, and it is important that we have teachers in place that are willing to inspire and engage with their students.
1. Do you agree/disagree?
2. What do you believe are the most important characteristics of a good teacher?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet the Reader

My photo
Hi! My name is Miss. Madison and I am your second grade teacher this year! First of all, let me begin by saying how excited I am to have each one of you in my class! We are going to have a fun and exciting year. I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. Students can really change the world, you know. I was born in Washington, DC but have lived in Nashville, TN for the majority of my life. I have one sister who is three and a half years younger than me. I love to dance, cook, adventure outside, and have fun with my friends.